Meade’s LX200-ACF Telescope brings to market a sophisticated catadioptric optical design favored by research facilities worldwide, but at a price that many enthusiasts can afford. Most professional applications are either this style of telescope or a gargantuan apochromatic refractor. Meade’s 10″ LX200-ACF with UHTC multicoatings provides a serious deep space aperture in a size still ably transported within most vehicles by just a single person, and gives all this in a complete package within financial reach of many observers. If you’re used to 8″ Schmidt-Cassegrains and their performance, this LX200-ACF 10″ scope will be a notable step up in all optical parameters.
Although this premium 10″ catadioptric scope is delivered in a robust twin-fork altazimuth mount that’s meant for delightful observing, it is easily adapted to extended astrophotography by using either Meade’s Deep Sky Imager (which eliminates field rotation via software), Field De-Rotator, or #07008 Equatorial Wedge.
Power for the LX200 12″ is supplied by 8 “C” batteries, but via optional accessories you can also adapt the scope to operate from an AC wall unit or from DC power via the #607 Cigarette Lighter Adapter (the #607 can also operate in the field off of a Celestron Power Tank instead of from a vehicle’s cigarette lighter port).
For 2009, Meade has refined the delivery of the LX200-ACF models to meet the demands of the marketplace. They now no longer include an electric focuser as standard equipment, and use a Series 4000 Super Plössl eyepiece instead of the Series 5000 version.
- Advanced f/10.0 Optics
- Advanced catadioptric optics perfect for demanding research and enthusiast imaging; renderings of stars remain tight circles from center to edge of field.
- GPS Receiver Sensor
- The LX200 features a Sony® GPS receiver sensor, which automatically inputs ultra-exact time, date & location values to help quickly align the telescope with remarkable (~1 arc minute) precision.
- Smart Mount & Smart Drive Technology
- By constantly refining the pointing accuracy each time an object is centered and updated, Meade’s Smart Mount™ & Smart Drive™ technologies provide permanent periodic error corrections (PPEC) on both axes by learning and averaging errors over the course of one or more training periods, to minimize guiding corrections during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Primary Mirror Lock
- The LX200’s primary mirror can be locked in place to benefit long-exposure astrophotography as well as focus retention while slewing.
- UHTC Ultra High Transmission Coatings
- UHTC Ultra High Transmission Coatings (employed upon all optical surfaces) yield a 20% decrease in light loss and dramatically-enhance detail of deep space objects.
- Extensive Imaging Capacity
- Make shorter exposures immediately with a digiscoping adapter, SLR adapter, or piggyback camera adapter. Longer professional exposures can be achieved with the #1220 Field De-Rotator, Wedge, or any of Meade’s Deep Sky Imagers which feature field de-rotation software.
- 3 Power Options
- Use 8 “C” batteries right out of the box, or instead adapt to AC power with the #07584 AC Adapter or to a vehicle’s cigarette lighter port with the #607 DC Power Cord with Cigarette Lighter Adapter (catalog #07043). The #607 DC Power Cord can also operate from the power supplied by a Celestron Power Tank in the field.